Friday, April 27, 2007

Stephen Hawking

I’m not generally in favour of space travel. Claims are often made for the benefits of the space programme back here on earth. But besides the non-stick frying pan (which is apparently carcinogenic) I’m finding it hard to think of much else. I suppose satellites have been ok – global communication, ok, I’ll give you that.
But it’s difficult to see the justification in opening up space travel to the common man or woman. I think the west needs to justify how it spends its enormous wealth, especially with so much poverty in the world. I think we should have some obligation to our fellow human beings before we start taking day trips in to space.
Having said all that, seeing the pictures of Stephen Hawking taking his first training flights in preparation to becoming a space tourist did bring a smile to my face. And if anyone deserves a wee trip in to space – it’s the man who has increased our knowledge of the universe – probably more than any person in history.

1 comment:

David Todd said...

I agree, he's amazing!